Five Tips For DUI Cases
When faced with a problem most of us like to have a plan of action to get the problem resolved. This may range from coming up with a budget in order to save for a vacation to keeping track of what we eat each day in order to lose weight. If you are trying to fix something around the house, you might look at some DIY videos and then try to make the repair on your own. Most times though, for these and other issues, turning to a professional is the best idea. If the situation you are facing is an arrest for DUI you need to know that this type of case involves possible jail time, payment of criminal fines, or loss of your driver’s license, call a skilled DUI and criminal defense attorney for help. And if you are interested in knowing a bit about how the process works before you sit down with a lawyer, take a look below.
Five tips for DUI cases are:
- Maintain your car in good repair, which might help you to avoid being pulled over for a burned out brake light. Sometimes DUI arrests begin with something this simple and a little routine maintenance can save you a big headache.
- If you are pulled over, be polite to the officer. The fastest way to have things spiral out of control is to become belligerent or agitated.
- Watch what you say, and answer only the question asked. Do not offer additional information, and do not think you are going to be able to “talk your way out of a DUI ticket”. The officer may appear friendly, and may be nice enough person, but in this instance the officer is not your friend.
- If you have been arrested before for DUI, decline to take a breath test is you are pulled over again.
- Be aware that things like breath mints and gum won’t alter your BAC level. That said, there are some over the counter and even prescription medications that can impact a breath test. If you have taken any medication, be sure to tell your attorney what it was as soon as possible.
A DUI means you lose your license, at least until you work out other arrangements. These arrangements have to be requested right away though, or you do end up going without a license to drive. It is no fun to be without your driving privileges, so act fast by calling a knowledgeable DUI defense attorney today. A qualified attorney will also be able to help you minimize the other possible penalties, such as fines and potential time behind bars.
For more information about DUI’s, call an experienced defense attorney in Stuart and the Treasure Coast. We offer an initial consultation for no charge, and look forward to working with you.