Not everything you do in life is worth repeating. For example, if you oversleep and are late to school or work, and miss turning in a big paper or project you will probably only want to have that experience once. The same is true when you are talking about criminal charges. It is no fun to be arrested once, but it does not get any more enjoyable if it happens for a second time. In fact, when defendants are classified as repeat offenders, the range of punishment is higher, and so are the fines and other consequences associated with subsequent arrests for the same thing.
Take a DUI case as a for instance, ant look at these five reasons you should try to avoid being arrested for DUI a second time:
- The time you might have to spend in jail increases, with a second offense having a jail term of up to 9 months.
- The amount of money you have to pay by way of fines increases, with the figure falling somewhere between $1,000.00 and $2,000.00.
- You stand to lose your driver’s license for up to a whopping 5 years! This is unlikely for a second case, but can happen.
- Your car might be impounded for a month, and we all know how hard it is to make it to the places you need to go without a car.
- If you hated the interlock device the first time you got a DUI, you will hate it even more with a second cased because you may be required to have one installed in your car for up to an entire year.
Our DUI defense attorneys know how to handle DUI cases, and what needs to be done to minimize the impact on your life. With subsequent cases we still look at the way the test was administered, and whether there is a valid attack that can be made as to the validity of the test results. If you are facing a second DUI, call us for help. Your license is at risk, as is your freedom.
For more information about subsequent DUI cases, call us. Contact our office today schedule an appointment with an experienced criminal defense attorney in Stuart and the Treasure Coast. The first visit is a free initial consultation.