In today’s DIY world it is tempting to do a lot of things on your own in order to save money. But just like you would not perform surgery on yourself, you should also not undertake to defend yourself in a legal proceeding. The law is full of rules and regulations, and sometimes it seems like lawyers are speaking a different language. If you do not speak that language it will be hard to be effective in your defense, and you might give up valuable rights or leave yourself open to harsh penalties.
Those penalties might include lengthy jail sentences, or high monetary fines. In the case of a DUI there is also the chance you will lose your driver’s license. If you have been charged with DUI and want to give yourself the best shot at a satisfactory outcome, you should partner with a skilled DUI defense attorney. Five things a DUI defense attorney can do that are helpful to your case are:
- Negotiate probationary terms that are not extreme or too oppressive.
- Request review of your driver’s license suspension and obtain a limited license so you are able to maintain driving privileges.
- Clearly explain what is expected of you while on probation, so you don’t risk a violation.
- Examine the initial traffic stop to see if the police had cause to pull you over. If not, it might be possible to argue that the arrest is not a good arrest since the traffic stop was not valid.
- Challenge the breath test results by claiming the test was not given properly, or by showing that there is another reason for the result other than that you had too much to drink.
Maintaining your right to drive and staying out of jail are important goals to every DUI case. We can help with both, and offer representation that is designed to fit the specific facts of your case rather than giving you a “one size fits all” type of defense. Call today to learn more.
If you have questions about what to expect if you get arrested for DUI, call a competent criminal defense attorney in Stuart and the Treasure Coast for help. Call us to schedule an appointment.