Being arrested for DUI is a serious thing, and can have a significant impact on your daily routine. One of the things that goes along with a DUI arrest is the suspension of your driver’s license. You do have the right to ask for a modified right to drive, but if you are not granted this request you will be left without a license for a while. This can cause serious disruptions to your day, because without a license you will not be able to drive to the places you need to go. Being arrested for DUI can also have an emotional impact, and it is only natural to wonder what you should say or do if you are pulled over and questioned about where you have been and whether you have been drinking.
Five things to do if you are arrested for DUI, and that could help your case down the road, include:
- Remain calm: while we realize this is easier said than done, if you are able to keep a cool head you will be less likely to reveal damaging information that might be used against you later.
- Keep your responses short and to the point: do not lie to the officer, but do not offer any extra information. It is best to answer only the question asked, and to give short answers when doing so.
- Call an attorney as soon as possible after the arrest: this will give you enough time to challenge any suspension of your driver’s license, and will give your attorney the chance to request vital information from the arresting officer while it is still fresh.
- Challenge the breath test results: this can be accomplished by giving your attorney a full account of the events, including providing information on any other substances you may have had in your system at the time of the test. Some prescriptions, or even over the counter products can give off a false positive on a breath test. But you have to let your attorney know if you had any of these types of substances in your system when the test was administered in order to include this as a part of your defense.
- Make a plan for the future: it is not uncommon to be charged with DUI, and it happens every day to all kinds of people. But in order to avoid the possibility of a repeat offense, make plans for a safe ride home the next time your plans include alcohol.
We offer a defense strategy that meets your needs, and work with you for results that are satisfactory. Our team of skilled defense attorneys has experience with DUI’s of all kinds, with a variety of fact patterns, and can help you too. Call us today to learn more.
If you have been arrested for DUI, call our office for help today. Contact us today schedule an appointment with an experienced criminal defense attorney in Stuart and the Treasure Coast. The first visit is a free initial consultation.