Every U.S. citizen is given a social security number at birth, and this number stays with you your entire life. This is the number the government uses to identify you for things like paying taxes, applying for student loans, and can be linked to any criminal history record you have acquired. Other important forms of identification include your birth certificate, passport, and driver’s license. All of these things are needed when leaving the country, or getting on an airplane. If you do not have the proper identification when asked to present same, you can be detained and not allowed to travel or continue a trip you have already started. The inability to move freely from state to state, or to get on a cruise ship or take a flight to another location seriously hampers your freedom. But if you have misplaced your license or had it taken away, you might be wondering if there is something you can do in order to obtain a replacement. The answer is yes.

One of the most common ways to lose your license is to get a DUI. With every DUI case there is also an administrative proceeding that deals with your driver’s license, which is taken away from you during an arrest for DUI. You can get a modified license, but you can also obtain a state issued ID and forego your right to drive during your DUI case. Our suggestion is to seek administrative review of the suspension of your driving privileges and obtain a limited license, but if you fail to make that request in a timely way you will not be able to do so and may only have the choice to ask for an identification card. Aside from this type of ID, here are four other types of identification you may need to have replaced:

  • Social security card.
  • Birth certificate.
  • Medicare card.

The government can issue a replacement, but you have to fill out the proper forms when making this type of request. If your request is related to a document that has been taken from you as a result of a DUI or drug charge, it is smart to seek the assistance of a skilled criminal defense attorney when making your request. Vital information about your case may be required, and a trained DUI and criminal defense attorney will know what answers to provide. For more information, call us today.

If you have questions about DUI defense, and how it relates to your driver’s license or state ID, call our office. Schedule an appointment with an experienced criminal defense attorney in Stuart and the Treasure Coast. Your first visit is a free initial consultation.