Driving under the influence can have serious consequences, so if you have been arrested for DUI you need to know what you are facing. Some of the punishments might be expected, such as having to go on probation and maybe having an interlock device installed in your car during that time. But there are other penalties that could be imposed, and if you have been charged with DUI the first step towards putting together an effective defense is to know what you are up against.
The top five, and most common DUI penalties for a first time offender are:
- A financial fine of up to $2,000.00. The exact amount will depend on the specific circumstances of your case, one of the most important of those circumstances being the level of your BAC. The higher the BAC, the more you can expect to pay in fines.
- Up to six months in jail.
- The possibility that you will have to perform community service.
- Revocation of your driver’s license, which can be challenged and in many instances a modified right to drive can be obtained.
- Impoundment of your vehicle immediately after the arrest, and for up to ten days.
If you are facing a subsequent DUI charge, these penalties can increase. For instance, the fine goes up a couple thousand dollars, as does the length of time you may be sentenced to jail. In order to minimize the impact, you have to aggressively defend the charges against you. The best way to do this is to partner with a competent defense attorney who knows how to get results. Call one of our qualified attorneys today, and take the first step towards a manageable outcome.
For help with defending DUI charges, call our office to speak with a qualified criminal defense attorney. We help people charged with all sorts of crimes in Stuart and the Treasure Coast. Call today to schedule an appointment.