Being arrested for a crime is something that can follow you around for a lifetime, and have negative implications on several areas of your life. This can make it hard to get a job, rent an apartment, get into school, or maybe even buy a car. Your criminal record contains information about the crimes you have been arrested for, but there are things you can do to have those things removed from your record. Asking for an expungement can help you down the road for years to come, and is well worth the effort if you qualify for an order of expungement.

To determine if you qualify for an expungement you first need to know the outcome of cases against you. If you had a case dismissed, you will qualify for an expungement of the charges. If you went on probation and were successful, you should also qualify for an expungement. The type of charge filed against you plays a role too, so let a knowledgeable attorney look at your case. Here are two good reasons to seek an expungement if you qualify:

  • The original crime will no longer show up on your record.
  • When there is no crime on your record, people who are doing searches will not be able to find out about your past. This can help with employment, but also offers you a level of personal privacy that is sometimes lacking in today’s digital and online age.

The inability to see your record is limited to those who perform public records searches. There may still be entities and individuals who can see your record, like some law enforcement agencies. But if you are not trying to get a job with the police force or in a state or federal office, this should not make much of a difference. If you are considering seeking an expungement of your record, let us tell you if you qualify. If you do qualify, let us handle the procedure for you, and explain it to you in full so you feel confident in your choice to ask that your record be cleared.

If you have questions about how to expunge a criminal record, call a competent criminal defense attorney in Stuart and the Treasure Coast for help. Call us to schedule an appointment.