In today’s digital age, there is an electronic footprint for just about everything you do. In some cases this can be helpful, like when you are directed to a favorite website faster because your computer’s browser “remembers” your search history. In other instances having a record of your past history is not so good. A good example of when having a record can do more harm than good is when the record in question is a criminal record. Having a criminal record can prevent you from getting a job, renting a house, or getting a loan. This is why it is important to take steps to erase your record, when it is something the law permits you to do.

Florida law sets forth certain circumstances under which a criminal record can be sealed, the three ways to seal a record are:

  • An instance where you have been arrested, but the charges were never filed.
  • Charges were filed, but there was a not guilty verdict entered.
  • Charges were filed, but were later dismissed and the case against you not pursued.

It is not necessary to show all three of the above, and it would be impossible do so. You are only required to provide information showing one of the above scenarios fits your case. When you are able to do that, you are eligible for having your record expunged. But, remember that there will still be certain entities that have the ability to see your record, so be sure the result will benefit you before taking the steps to ask for your record to be sealed. We can help by looking at the facts of your case, and letting you know the likely end result. If the result meets your needs, we are experienced at filing requests for expungement, and are ready to help you. Call today to see what it takes to have a record expunged, and we will let you know if your case meets the criteria.

For answers to questions about sealing criminal records, call an experienced criminal defense attorney today. Skilled criminal defense attorneys in Stuart and the Treasure Coast are here to help you reach workable solutions. Your first visit is a free initial consultation.