One of the better known facts about criminal law cases is that sometimes the defendant goes to jail as punishment. The idea of spending time behind bars is not appealing to anyone, so if you have been arrested you might be wondering what you can do to stay out of jail. The possibility of going to jail is very real for nearly every crime, but is lower when the chargers are minor or the defendant is a first time offender. This is certainly true for DUI cases, which do include the chance that the defendant will be sentenced to a prison term. In order to stay out of jail if you have been arrested for DUI it is critical to know what steps to take, and to allow an experienced DUI defense attorney to help you.

The law for DUI in Florida does include a provision for doing time, but also allows a defendant to maintain their freedom. Two ways to stay out of jail for a DUI include:

  • Enrolling in a drug or alcohol treatment program. The time you spend in a treatment program can be counted towards any jail sentence that was ordered in your case, but you will not be made to go to jail during this time. As long as you attend the meetings as ordered you will be allowed to serve your sentence outside of the jailhouse.
  • Agreeing to a term of probation, which usually includes the requirement that you do not receive any more tickets during your probation, is another way to stay out of jail. You might also be required to check in with a probation officer, perform community service, or attend counseling. If, at the end of the probationary term, you have met all of the requirements according to your probation, your sentence will be complete.

If you or a loved one has been charged with a DUI, call our office and talk with one of our qualified DUI defense attorneys. We can help by reviewing your case and negotiating alternative forms of punishment that do not include going to jail.

For more information about what to do if you have been arrested for DUI, call an experienced defense attorney in Stuart and the Treasure Coast. We offer an initial consultation for no charge, and look forward to helping you resolve your case.